Statewide Collaboration to Improve ASD Initiatives in Montana Poster
The Montana Autism Center provides practical assistance, demonstrates proven techniques, and trains direct service staff.
- Family Outreach (Helena) uses “Milestone” booklets as a discussion guide for each home visit.
- The Part C agency renamed itself “Montana Milestones Part C Intervention” to capitalize on the LTSAE milestones concept
- UCEDD and Ambassador meet bimonthly to plan and implement training and develop resources.
- Social media and Facebook are a great way to share information and build community.
- Churches, bowling alleys and bars are good points of contact in rural and remote areas.
- Local newsletters and Chamber of Commerce/community websites are good avenues for building resource awareness.
MT Autism Center
- 2,316 unique visitors with 9,082 page views in 9 months (no advertising).
- The center is about “function,” not “place.”
- Center resources available “on demand.”
“Act Early” Resources
- CDC LTSAE customized brochure (trifold) 4,600.
- CDC LTSAE customized booklet (48 page) 800.
- In 8 years, preschool-age referrals are up 100%. For school age, referrals are up 150%, mostly in western MT.
- One Part C provider currently serves 125 families, 38% screen positive for ASD.
- First-ever collaborative State ASD plan developed in 2015. Partnership grew from 22 to 56 in the 20 month process.
- “Youth Engagement through Intervention” for school-age children grew from 8 to 17 children in one year. “MOSSAIC” grew from 4 to 7 young adults.
- The largest youth/adult provider in central Montana has 100 open Direct Service Provider positions.
- Training to 38 “very satisfied” Early Head Start providers across Montana. Six of 10 Early Head Start programs were represented.
- UC Davis and a Montana team to implement the Early Start Denver Model project. Research sites include several Part C providers.
- M-CHAT adoption (at entrance and ~30 months) by half of Part C providers.
Martin E. Blair, PhD. - UCEDD Director
Ann Garfinkle, PhD. - Act Early Ambassador