|Beth Wroblewski, Interim Part C Coordinator
Birth to 3 Program
Dept. of Health and Family Services
P. O. Box 7851
1 West Wilson Street
Madison, WI 53707-7851
|Overview of Part C Services
||The Lead Agency is the Department of Health and Family Services, and they divide funding between the counties, who are responsible for providing services. The state has 72 counties and 11 tribes. Services for tribal children are provided through the county. Lead agencies in the counties tend to be the Dept. of Human services, though a few are Public Health. Of the counties that provide services to families, 67% provide home-based services and 23% provide services in centers.
|Public Awareness and Child Find Activities
- Newborn hearing screening is just starting.
- State web site - Now has more developmental information in addition to postings of upcoming child find activities.
- The state developed a curriculum for childcare providers to use with kids with special needs. They provided trainings in the evening on both the curriculum and using the Denver II.
- The Department of Public Instruction, the state education agency, has given a grant for establishing and maintaining an informed referral network. It is a three year project and is in its second year.
|Public Awareness and Child Find Activities believed to be most effective
- At the state level the contract with the Great Lakes Intertribal Council has been effective. One person there that has done a lot of child find activities with the 11 tribes. He has been training people in using the Denver and they have done screenings and health fairs.
- One of the most effective activities is they go and visit counties once a month in order to help with collaboration efforts. Every county works with school districts during it's developmental days.
|Concerns regarding finding more children
- What they hear from counties is making the connections with physicians is a concern.
- Also many counties, especially rural counties, have trouble finding qualified staff.
|Resources received from the State
- Brochures - Working to Transform Early Childhood Care and Education
Birth to 3 - Mediation System (several other birth to 3 brochures)
Wisconsin First Step
- Video - Birth to 3 - Because the First Three Years Build a Lifetime
- Reports - Summary Report with Resources
- Booklet - Together - Children Grow: Quality Child Care for Children with Special Needs